Auto transport companies have filled a variety of different needs since their inception not many years ago. What used to be a method of transport reserved for dealerships finally broke into the private world and is making a splash. There are many reasons that a person might need auto transport, especially these days when the internet is so prevalent in our daily lives. From online car buying and selling, to moving across the country, vehicles are going on trips without their owners every day. Still, shipping a vehicle takes some coordination, so make sure that you heed this advice in order to make the ‘ship car across country’ process easy.
- A Great Car Shipping Company – The most important aspect of moving a vehicle involves finding the best company in your area to actually handle the transport of the car. There are hundreds of different companies out there, so you should take your time and choose the one that will be right for you. Make sure that you know what is included in the services, when your vehicle will be picked up, and when it will arrive. Get a price quote as well so that you can compare the prices of multiple companies.
- A Complete Inspection – Most car shipping companies are going to require that your vehicle be inspected prior to transport. This is for the protection of your own vehicle as well as for the protection of the other vehicles that will be transported on the same truck. Regardless of where your vehicle is going, make sure that you take it to your local mechanic so that they can perform the total inspection and sign off on the paperwork that the transport companies are going to provide you with before they accept the vehicle for transport.
- Documentation – Before your vehicle leaves your possession, you need to ensure that its total condition had been documented. This might include taking pictures from multiple angles so that you can prove what damage occurred before, and during, the car transport trip. While everyone hopes that they don’t face such insurance claims after the fact, accidents can and do happen. In the end it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. Leave nothing to chance and document every little piece of damage or modification to the vehicle that you are going to ship.
- Insurance – No matter what kind of vehicle you are shipping, make sure that you have enough insurance on the vehicle to cover it in the event of an accident. Remember, there are some things that are not in the control of the movers who are shipping your vehicle. As such, having insurance will only ensure that the vehicle gets to where it is going without any trouble or damage that cannot be fixed.
- Time to Prepare – Perhaps the most important aspect of the ‘ship car across country’ process which will make this time of your life easy or difficult is the time that you have to prepare for the event. You will need some time to get all of the paperwork in order, so make sure that you begin the process well ahead of the day you need the vehicle moved. Remember, you will have to find a company and get the vehicle ready. The more time you have, the better, especially in the event that something goes wrong.
If you are moving a vehicle, then you need to make sure that you consider these simple steps. Not only will you be able to make the process easier on yourself and others who are involved, but you will save time, money, and heartache as well.